Wednesday 1 July 2020

Land Rover SIII 'TTK', 6

After the carburettor service didn't resolve the engine failure problem, the next thing was to check the head gasket. This involved removing the cylinder head, replacing the various gaskets and giving it all a good clean. It is during the removal of all the grime and dirt, that I discovered the original engine paint colour. Discovering this, and seeing my friend Simon's SIII engine in the same colour, spurred me on to repaint the engine as best as I could (given the plan was not to remove the engine block!). When the cylinder head was off, I de-coked the head and learned how to 'lap the valves' (grinding them in again). Huge learning (with lots of input from Simon), but great fun! I also cleaned up the inlet- and exhaust manifolds as well as the rocker cover.

No comments: