Wednesday 9 August 2023

Bannau Brycheiniog National Park, 4

On my third hiking day in the National Park I aimed to complete the last 4 Nuttalls of the Black Mountains. Again, the initial ascent was steep but the views made it all worthwhile. Today’s peaks were Mynydd Llyssiau (663 m), Pen Twyn Glas (646 m), Pen Alt Mawr (720 m) and Pen Cerrig Calch (701 m). The hike was just over 21 km  and the weather was perfect: plenty of sun, some cloud and a good breeze to cool me down.
Amazing views of Waun Fach (which I had hiked on a previous trip - in dense fog!) and across to the Brecon Beacons range. The Pen Y Fan seemed to be covered in cloud all day. The combination of the flowering heather (Calluna vulgaris) and the emerging bilberries (Vaccinium myrtillus) on the heaths was stunning! 

I had decided to have lunch at Pen Alt Mawr but it was covered in millions of swarming bugs (flying ants?)! Pen Cerrig Calch made up for it though, as did the far reaching views all day! I also really enjoyed spending some recovery time at the 618 m pass between Mynydd Llissiau and Pen Trumau. 


Total kilometres hiked: 21.4 km

Total elevation gain: 727 m

Total Nuttalls bagged: 4


No comments: