Saturday 12 August 2023

Bannau Brycheiniog National Park, 7

Due to the forecasted rain, I nearly decided to drive home last night but instead decided to pop into the Brecon Jazz Festival to soak up a bit of the atmosphere. The rain did arrive during the early hours so I had another morning of chilling, reading, drawing and cooking in the back of TTK and I also went to the National Park Visitor Centre again.

By lunch time I drove over toward the Fan Llia and Fan Nedd area which took me up the beautiful, mountainous Sarn Helen road. The rain was still driving in in waves from the south but despite the wind, it was not cold. From the Devil's Elbow pass, the peak of Fan Llia (632 m) was actually not far and not so high up either, so I realised a quick dash up there was the way to do it. I just took an energy bar and, after a bit of struggle crossing the fast flowing stream, I was up and back down again in no time. The ascent was dry and windy - of course, as I reached the summit, it started pelting down with rain!
I was soaked through and through, so once back at the car I got changed, managed to get a quick picture of the Maen Llia Standing Stone nearby and I drove back to Gloucestershire!

Total kilometers hiked: 3.4 km
Total elevation gain: 211 m
Total Nuttalls bagged: 1

What an amazing trip - thank you Bannau Brycheiniog! I will be back...

Grand totals for the week: over 117 km of strolling/walking/hiking; total elevation gain 2825 m; total Nuttalls bagged: 15!!!

No comments: