Friday 11 August 2023

Bannau Brycheiniog National Park, 6

I had set out to summit Craig Cerrig Gleisiad (629 m) and Fan Frynych (629 m) today, knowing that I’d assess afterwards what else I could do on this trip - as my energy levels were reduced and the weather was going to turn at the weekend. 
But once I reached the top of the Craig, I realised that the other two Nuttalls nearby were actually within relatively easy reach. And, certainly for one of them, it would save me from having to ascend again right up from the road! So, I managed to summit Fan Fawr (734 m) and Y Gyrn (619 m) all on the same 16 km hike!

The weather was very changeable with bouts of sun and definitely some rain too. The moors on the top felt very isolated despite the thousands of sheep, the nearby humdrum of the busy A470 and the popular Storey Arms car park area for the Pen Y Fan day trippers! It was also great to be able to use a section of the seemingly ancient drovers road between Merthyr Tydfill and Brecon (now part of the Taff Trail) on the return leg of today’s 16 km hike! Perfect to finish with a coffee once back at the Land Rover...

Total kilometres hiked: 16.0 km

Total elevation gain: 737 m

Total Nuttalls bagged: 4



No comments: